Monday, August 25, 2008

Mutiny - by Daniel


I shouldn't be writing this post and look forward to the mutineers speaking their piece.

It's getting ugly around here - everyone said it would happen but one is never prepared for what it feels like to be accused (with reason) of torturing one's own children. School has started, homework has started, getting up at 6:30 am has started, not understanding what the hell the teacher and students are saying has started. Homesickness has deluged us.

There have been plenty of distractions up til now - the drive down through Mexico, housesitting in paradise at John and Adele's, our new puppy. But now the realization that it's not just summer vacation has reared its ugly head. And we, the nutcases that thought up this brilliant idea to spend a year here, are the targets of some serious mud slinging.

How do you forge ahead with life, even try to enjoy it, while leaving plenty of room for the kids to feel the sadness of leaving friends and the immense difficulties of fitting in here? I look forward to the wisdom of others like Chuck and Tricia and Nora and Harry and Liz and Lilliana, Isabel and Elena (two families - friends of ours - that charted this path prior to us). Will we find family peace and cultural adventure and openness here - or will we be dashed against the rocks, our vessel in splinters? Stay tuned and stay in touch.

2 comments:

JLynn said...

This is great! I go to the ashuelot river freeshcool (ARFS.us for more info) but used to go to puplic school so I symathise! I look foreward to more posts!

windsand said...

I am planning on moving down to Oaxaca in August with my 2 sons and would love to talk to you about your experience there. I can't find an email address for you to contact you, so, if you could write me at windsand@verizon.net I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Katie